This advanced training is designed to help you maximize the healing potential of the therapeutic relationship in your work—especially with your most challenging cases. This goes far beyond establishing rapport with your clients. It positions the therapeutic alliance as a central, strategic part of the treatment plan. This is especially important when you work with complex trauma and attachment injuries. We’ll take a deep dive into the three primary components of the therapeutic alliance—goals for therapy, tasks involved to achieve those goals and, of course, the attachment bond between therapist and client. This training also introduces the important concept of the self of the therapist—who the therapist is as a person as well as a clinician. And it goes on to explore the pros, cons, pitfalls, strategies and timing for being real and authentic with clients including how to hold them accountable for their contribution in their own healing journey.
Strengthen the Relationship. Transform Complex Trauma Treatment.
The focus of this training is the dance itself—the relationship between the client and therapist that makes it possible for clients to take the journey into the painful unknown of the past. It builds on the core understanding that what goes on in the consulting room and in the therapeutic relationship is a microcosm of a client’s injuries, challenges and adaptations. This unique EMDR focus provides opportunities to do meaningful work in real time in the consulting room. Here are a few of the benefits you can expect to gain:
- Heightened capacity for being present and attuned so you can track your client’s—and your own—emotional and somatic experience moment by moment.
- Ability to establish a “good enough” relationship as the foundation for processing past experiences including those formed outside the domain of language and explicit memory networks.
- Proven strategies for transforming “moments of collision” into “moments of meeting” and opportunities for growth.
- Insights into your own attachment style, vulnerabilities, patterns of response, triggers and new strategies for recovery and repair.
- Access new points of entry to meaningful healing based on a client’s response to therapy—in and out of processing—and to you as therapist.
- Learn the value of using therapeutic contracting as an ongoing process not a one-time event at the start of therapy.
Like all of our advanced EMDR trainings, The Dance of Attachment explores an expanded application of EMDR's powerful healing processes and protocols as a comprehensive psychotherapy. This training covers new protocols designed for specific situations, use of Clinical Interweave Strategies to repair emotional and developmental deficits and more.